Southern California delivers some of the best year-round weather in the world. What better way to enjoy this advantage than to create a beautiful outdoor space for eating and cooking? A well-planned outdoor kitchen provides an excellent way to enjoy nature, gather family and friends, and keep your house cool in the summer. Building an outdoor kitchen is also a creative way to add value and appeal to your property.
Choosing a Contractor
The first step in planning an outdoor kitchen is to find a reliable contractor to work with. It is important to begin the project by working with a professional contracting company, as they will be able to provide you with information regarding codes, and possible limitations on your property that will set the groundwork for the rest of your project. Your contractor will be able to provide expert knowledge on necessary elements such as:
- Water drainage
- Where to run electrical and water lines
- Where to install plumbing
- The best location for your outdoor addition
Working with a general contractor or kitchen remodeling company who communicates clearly and does high quality work can make the process of designing and building an outdoor kitchen a delightful experience.
Choosing Your Features
Once the essential decisions are in place with your building contractor, the fun part begins. You can choose the features, materials, and styles that make your space uniquely suited to your tastes and lifestyle. It is helpful to begin by thinking through how you want to use your outdoor kitchen:
- Will you be primarily doing large group entertaining, or hosting intimate family gatherings?
- Are you most likely to throw meat on a grill, stone bake a gourmet pizza, serve fresh espressos, or all of the above?
- Does a built-in eating space (such as a counter-height bar or stone benches) appeal to you, or would you prefer mobile patio furniture?
- Are you a green thumb, who might want an herb garden within hand’s reach as you cook?
- What other special features would add comfort, convenience, or a unique flair to your outdoor kitchen?
As you decide on the features that would best suit your outdoor kitchen building project, you will also choose which materials you want to use. Do you love the rustic appeal of wood and stone, or the sleek elegance of stainless steel and granite? Your building contractor can help you choose materials that suit your tastes and will best withstand the outdoor elements.
Open Hand Remodeling Would Love to Help
If you love the idea of enjoying your own outdoor kitchen, give us a call! Open Hand Remodeling is located in Pasadena and serves the greater Los Angeles area. We are a full-service, professional contracting company. As well as all remodeling and home additions, we offer full service landscaping and hardscaping, including outdoor kitchens! Our experts are committed to providing you with a clear and honest estimate, and excellent communication as we help you make the changes you desire for your home exterior. Call for free estimate to begin your project today!